No 109 Squadron was first formed in 1918 as a bomber training unit and disbanded in 1919. In December 1940 the squadron was re-born from the Wireless Intelligence Development Unit (WIDU). Using Anson and Wellington aircraft it was engaged during the next two years in development of radio counter-measures and also new radar aids, notably the blind bombing system known as Oboe. In August 1942, No 109 moved to Wyton to become one of the original units of the Pathfinder Force. In December it converted to Oboe Mosquitoes and made history by flying the first Oboe sortie over enemy territory on a calibration raid against a power station at Lutterade in Holland.
On the night of 31 December 1943, it made history again when it pioneered Oboe target marking for a following force of heavy bombers. One of No 109's most outstanding successes was on 5/6 March 1943, when its Mosquitoes led Bomber Command's devastating assault on Essen which laid waste more than 160 acres of that city and heralded the Battle of the Ruhr. Included among the squadron's many other wartime claims to fame is the claim that the last bombs to be dropped on Berlin were dropped by one of its Mosquitos at 2.14am on 21 April 1945.
The cover is cancelled with BFPS 2695 postmark for the 60th Anniversary of the formation of the Pathfinder Force dated 15 August 2002.
Hand signed by Squadron Leader Ron Curtis DSO DFC* &
Flight Lieutenant Charles Harrold DFC*
150 Signed, Numbered and Certified
Ron Curtis started his RAF career as a Navigator on Hampdens with No 144 Squadron, before being transferred to No 44 Squadron to replace the Lancaster crews lost on the Augsburg Raid and was awarded his first DFC at the end of the tour. He then went on to join No 109 Squadron as a Pathfinder Navigator and completed tour after tour, having flown over 130+ operations they finally stopped him flying.
Charles Harrold completed 70 operations as a No 109 Squadron navigator.